- Membership on the PeerHelp Listserv is open to CICC College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants members who are RCICs and other “authorized representatives” as defined in IRPA, as well as retired practitioners. Students of an approved Immigration Program may join while studying, post-entrance exam awaiting their license, but are not allowed to post until they are full RCICs. Other advocates of an independent immigration consulting profession who wish to participate in the Listserv may apply to the Steering Committee for membership. Their request will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The annual subscription fee for the PeerHelp ListServ is $100 for each full year + a one-time $20 Registration Fee, for a total of $120 for the first year, and $100 thereafter, payable at the beginning of each year by January 10th. Those unsubscribed for not renewing by annual deadline can rejoin for a fee of $140.
- Membership is a privilege, and not a right. Members may be suspended or deleted from membership if the Steering Committee finds a member to be in violation of the rules of participation, and there will be no refund for prepaid fees.
Rules of Participation
- Members are expected to communicate in a respectful, courteous manner, consistent with professional relations with their colleagues and others as per the CICC College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants Code of Ethics. Libelous or insulting comments about any individual or agency involved in our industry are not acceptable, nor are personal remarks or opinions directed at specific individuals designed to embarrass them personally or professionally.
- Members must use caution to not violate client confidentiality by disclosing client names or other identifying information concerning their clients.
- The PeerHelp Listserv is not private communication, and should not be viewed as such, as the messages are sent broadly to members, and possibly forwarded more broadly from there. The Steering Committee has no means to restrict this, nor interest in doing so. Therefore, members should assume they are posting messages for public consumption and govern themselves accordingly. As a matter of professional courtesy, any member who wishes to forward a posting placed by another member must contact that member first and obtain their permission.
- The Listserv is intended for information on immigration law and practice, and professional issues, of broad interest to all members. Small groups interested in in-depth discussions on a topic, or strategizing to deal with particular problems within the industry, should form a separate email list among themselves apart from the Listserv for that purpose. The Listserv encourages such proactive involvement by members who may link up on the Listserv and continue elsewhere.
- The Listserv is an adjunct to one’s own knowledge and research and is not to be used as the primary tool to familiarize oneself with whole areas of immigration law, or to direct areas of one’s practice.
- Please do your own research, and post your conclusions – reasons – questions to clarify. Do not use PeerHelp to simply post your clients’ queries and ask your peers to do your work.
- This tool is an excellent resource for consultants. In exchange, members are expected to share information and experience for the benefit of the group, and spend time in educating their colleagues when appropriate.
- Please contribute as often as you can, to make the PeerHelp community experience one of reciprocity.
- Promotion of your own services, or that of a lawyer services that you are working for, is actively discouraged, especially if your only participation is a “ We do that!” sales pitch.
- Members should use reasonable care to give correct information or facts when communicating on the Listserv, insofar as others may be relying on their information. Any incorrect information given should be corrected when it comes to light.
- No information given through this listserv should be considered legal advice and participants are encouraged to verify every information before acting upon it.
- Any content you feel is not in keeping with the spirit of this forum’s Rules of Participation may be forwarded to the members of the Steering Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with your reasons for concern.
The information, opinions and views expressed on the PeerHelp Listserv are solely those of the individual author of each post, and do not represent the views of anyone else or the Steering Committee. The content of the emails sent by members is not monitored. The Steering Committee cannot vouch for the accuracy of information or wisdom of advice given on the Listserv. Members are cautioned that they alone are responsible to their clients for professional advice given to them.
PeerHelp. Learn. Ask. Share.
EDUCATION PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COMMUNITY BUILGING SHARE BEST PRACTICES PEER COUNSELLING